Tips for designing an excellent UI / UX Portfolio
In this post I am explaining how you can create a successful portfolio. There are many professionals dedicated to design, but few are able to show their work in the best way.
If you are a designer and you are looking for a job, you will need to have a portfolio to show them. Recruiters always look at candidates’ works. This allows them to hire the best, or those who are best suited.
But what is the difference between a portfolio and a excellent portfolio? It’s normal for you to ask yourself this.
I have seen many portfolios and I can tell you that the small details make the difference.
Making a great portfolio takes time and dedication, but it will provide opportunities. In addition, creating it will help you practice. All are advantages.
Let me give you some tips to create it:
Design and tell why
The majority of designers only show their designs, they do not explain why they designed that, nor what problem they are solving. This is a big error, because a good designer has to design to solve a problem and not just to make it look nice.
Showing a mockup only demonstrates your skills as a visual designer but not how UX designer. The best portfolios explain why it was so designed.
But what should you tell about the design? It’s simple.
- Determine the problem. What problem were you trying to solve? It is important to know what happens and to know if the solution is effective. Explain it clearly, and do not forget that this is the first step.
- Show your wireframes. Not only do they want to see the definitive work, they want to know the sketches that you have created until you get to it.
- Explain the decisions you have made. User experience is a process, you should explain step by step.
If you do this, people will really understand your designs.
Only the best designs
Forget to publish works that are not current or bad designs. No matter that they are few, what matters is that these are good.
The portfolio must be dynamic, you will have to update it frequently. A bad work, it’s a bad image.
Take care of this.
Show yourself to the community and share
Before publishing your works, I recommend that you show it to other designers. For this you can create a profile in Behance and get feedback.
Many designers think Dribble is better but this is not true if you are an UI / UX Designer.
Behance is a perfect social network to share your works, also allows to add the explanation of your design, few communities allow it.
To be a good designer you should see many works to learn.
If there is something differences the best designers is their website. Many professionals do not have a website, and this makes them not visible to the rest of the world. It is much more professional to have a personal website where to publish your works. This can be complicated for many designers as you will need to know about web design. However, there are many platforms that will allow you to have an online site in a simple way. WordPress, Squarespace and Tumblr are some examples.
What can a website provide you?
- Demonstrates the passion for work and the importance it gives to its reputation.
- You can tell everyone how you are. Recruiters are not only interested in your professional profile also want to meet you personally.
- You can have a blog where you talk about design and many more things. Writing and sharing is part of learning. Companies love this, they see you as a great professional.
I hope these tips will help you create a fantastic portfolio. I would love to know that you have been useful.